The Role of the Citizen in Preserving Security
The role of the citizen in preserving security is fundamental in any state, and here are some of the most critical actions a citizen should take to maintain security:
- Reporting crimes promptly.
- Safely intervening if possible to detain a criminal until security forces arrive.
- Providing truthful testimony against criminals in court.
- Monitoring businesses and establishments and reporting any suspicious activities.
- Assisting in the search for missing persons or those evading justice.
- Participating in and supporting awareness campaigns conducted by security agencies in schools.
- Assisting security agencies in various tasks, such as traffic control, emergency response, and community care.
The Effects of Citizen Cooperation with Security Agencies
Citizen cooperation with security forces can have several positive effects, including:
- Advocating for the oppressed and deterring the oppressors, as helping security forces contributes to achieving justice.
- Strengthening the relationship between security agencies and citizens and breaking down barriers between them.
- Reducing corruption and crime, ultimately leading to comprehensive security.
- Contributing to improving the performance of security agencies and enhancing their work methods.
- Harnessing dormant human potential and turning it into a workforce.
Collaborative Relationship in Preserving Security
The collaborative relationship in preserving security signifies a deep-seated understanding among citizens that security is a shared responsibility with security agencies. Cooperation with security forces is an individual's responsibility towards their community, and when this relationship is realized, it yields positive results for society as a whole. It helps individuals understand that security agencies exist to serve and protect their rights.
The collaborative relationship in security has led to the emergence of the concept of community policing. Community policing is a strategy and policy aimed at regulating crime levels, improving quality of life, and increasing security by having the police cooperate with the local community. Community policing has two fundamental elements: the local community and emergency response.
Most contemporary crime prevention approaches shift from field confrontation to addressing the root causes of crime, such as poverty and unemployment, through development and scientifically based methods. Modern crime prevention policies encompass three main functions: prevention, intervention, and treatment. These functions are only fully realized when carried out by official and non-official entities, and community partnerships link society and its institutions with common interests to enhance safety.
The Image of a Security Officer in Front of Citizens
Security agencies take measures to create a positive image of security officers, including:
- Conducting educational courses to enhance communication skills for security personnel.
- Producing television programs that discuss the roles and challenges of security officers and allow citizens to participate.
- Selecting the most qualified and knowledgeable individuals with good character for leadership positions.
- Engaging security personnel with the local community through participation in social events and social media.
- Activating suggestion and complaint boxes for citizens who may have been harmed or wish to voice their opinions.
- Honoring citizens who assist security officers.
- Conducting studies and surveys to measure citizen satisfaction with the performance of security agencies and personnel.
- Having security officers deliver lectures to students to explain the concept of security.
- Housing security officers in residential neighborhoods and involving them in various community events.
Overview of Security
Security is a fundamental pillar of nation-building and is the primary source of survival and development. Preserving security means safeguarding the continuity, identity, and rule of law. Security is defined as an individual's sense of peace and stability regarding housing, income, and religious and intellectual beliefs, and also includes an individual's sense of importance in society. Community security indicates the combined efforts of all institutions, agencies, and individuals alongside the security apparatus to maintain stability and reduce crime.
National security pertains to a state's ability to protect its territory, economy, and beliefs from external or internal aggression. It involves educating the public through social media institutions about the importance of portraying a positive image of the nation, its culture, and its strength in the face of other nations.