There are several methods of fishing with the hook.
The difference between them lies in the type of bait used, the length of the hook, the type of reel, and the thickness of the threads.
One of these methods is fishing with an industrial fly fishing in which an artificial bait of hair or feathers is used similar in shape to the type of live food that fish prefer, to Side fishing, reel fishing, and traction fishing in which the rod is pulled by a fishing boat.
The method of fishing with the hook
The best places to fish are areas where fast water currents meet slower currents.
This is because the fish head to these areas to catch the food rushing with the current, and it is also possible to choose places where tree trunks and rocks abound because they provide a cover for the fish to hide under when they feel danger, and the dawn and dusk periods are one of the most appropriate times for fishing, during which the fish go out to get food.
It is worth noting that the fisherman must know the characteristics of the type of fish he wants to catch, and thus he can know the times in which it is active and the places where it is preferred to be.
It is recommended to follow the following steps for a successful fishing experience using the rod:
- Choosing a suitable fishing rod: It is recommended to choose a fishing rod of appropriate weight and length a stick approximately the same as the length of the fisherman, and it is preferable to choose a flexible, medium-strength pole for beginners, choose a solid hook if you want to catch big fish so that it can endure its weight, and it is preferable to choose a hook that has a rotating reel to facilitate the fishing process.
- Choosing the right thread: You must choose the right thread for the used hook, provided that the line bears between 2.7 to 5.4 kg for freshwater fishing, and between 4.5 to 5.4 kg for saltwater fishing.
- Choosing the right hook: The hook should be the size of the hook it is suitable for the type of fish to be caught he who is attracted to a small bait will feel afraid to approach from a large hook, it is preferable to choose a hook with a size range between 6-10 to catch different types of fish.
- Choosing the right bait: When you want to catch a specific type of fish the fisherman must know what type of food he prefers to use as bait, it is generally recommended to use worms, minnows, leeches, and lobsters, crickets, and grasshoppers as bait for water fishing freshwater, while it is preferable to use sea worms, eels, and lobster, shrimp, and squid slices as bait for saltwater fishing.
- Fixing the hook with the thread: The main knot is the best method to fix the hook on the thread, bypassing the end of the thread with the hook loop and pull it toward the spool and wrap it around itself four up to six times, then pass the thread through the knot formed tighten it tightly.
- Plunger and taper fixation: The taper is fixed to the thread in addition to one or two divers 15-30 cm from the hook, and use the plunger to enable the hook to stay underwater, the movement of the plunger up and down signal to the fisherman that the fish has started biting off the bait.
- Fixing the bait with the hook: By piercing the lure with the hook bend it and pass it more than once.
- Throwing the thread into the water: By pulling the hand back so that the hook becomes vertical, then move it forward and release the thread until the hook reaches the desired place, noting that using the reel equipped with a start button facilitates this task as pressing the button leads to releasing the thread, and some prefer The fishermen slowly release the line and move the hook a little so that the fish think the bait is alive.
- Waiting or changing the fishing location: After doing all of the above, the fisherman must wait quietly until a fish swallows the bait, and this can be known from the movement of the thread forward, and it is recommended to change the location after 15 minutes have passed without catching any fish and looking for another location.
- Pulling the fish: The fish is pulled by lifting the hook up at an angle of 45 degrees and winding the thread on the reel at the same time to keep the thread tight; Which reduces the chance of the fish by freeing its mouth from the hook, and to reduce the tension of the hook, it can be lowered a little while continuing to wrap the thread, then re-lift it again to bring the fish closer to the fisherman, and repeat that until the fish is pulled to the shore, then a net can be used to catch it, and in the end it is Take the hook out of the fish's mouth.
- Hitting the fish: The fish caught for eating after fishing must be hit directly on the head with a sharp object, provided that the blow is above the eyes to affect the brain and make the fish lose consciousness; This is to reduce your pain.